CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION
NEW YORK STATE RHEUMATOLOGY SOCIETY, INC.
Under Section 402
New York Not-For-Profit Corporation Law
The undersigned, a natural person at least 18 years of age, desiring to form a corporation under and by virtue of the provisions of the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law of the State of New York does hereby make, subscribe and acknowledge this certificate as follows:
- The name of the corporation is New York State Rheumatology Society, Inc. (the “Corporation”).
- The Corporation is a corporation as defined in subparagraph (a)(5) of Section 102 of the New York Not-for-Profit Corporation Law in that it is not formed for pecuniary profit or financial gain, and no part of the assets, income or profit of the Corporation is distributable to or inures to the benefit of its directors or officers or any private person except to the extent permissible under the New York Not-for-Profit Corporation Law.
- The purposes for which the Corporation is formed shall be purely religious, charitable, scientific, literary and educational, within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the “Code”) (or corresponding provision of any future United States internal revenue law), without regard to race, color or creed as follows:
- To furnish leadership and foster advances in rheumatology, to serve as a forum through scientific presentations and meetings for the exchange of information and knowledge pertaining to rheumatology, and to act as a stimulus for clinical investigation, basic research, and teaching in rheumatology and to support and encourage the career development of rheumatologists in training.
- To solicit and receive money and property for the foregoing purposes and to receive and accept for charitable purposes gifts, donations, bequests and devises of money and property;
- To do anything and everything reasonably and lawfully necessary, proper, suitable or convenient for the achievement of the foregoing purposes or for the furtherance of said purposes;
- Nothing herein shall authorize the Corporation, directly or indirectly, to engage in or include among its purposes any of the activities mentioned in the New York Not-for-Profit Corporation Law, Section 404(b) – (u);
- In addition to the foregoing and in furtherance of its purposes as set forth above, the Corporation shall have all of the powers enumerated in Section 202 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law, subject to any limitations provided in the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law or any other statute of the State of New York; and
- Nothing herein shall authorize the Corporation to carry on any activities not permitted to be carried on by a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c) (3) of the Code or by a corporation contributions to which are deductible under Section 170(c)(2) of the Code; and
- Nothing herein shall authorize the corporation to operate or maintain a college or university or to grant degrees or credit leading to a degree; and
- Nothing herein shall authorize the corporation to engage in the practice of the profession of medicine or any other profession required to be licensed by Title VIII of the Education Law; and
- Nothing herein shall authorize the corporation to provide professional training in the profession of medicine or any other profession required to be licensed by Title VIII of the Education Law.